Saturday 7 July 2018

Meet the 2018 Team - AJ


I am AJ and I currently live and work in Barnsley in Yorkshire, but grew up in and around St Andrews Biggleswade with my family.

Family is a strong reason as to why I agreed to go out to visit Mafambisa with the Cupboard this year when Dad asked me. Africa and Hands at Work have played a huge role in the lives of my family over the last 8 years with strong connections and links being continually built and nurtured; so in part I hope to answer the question; “What is it that draws them to this place and encourages them to return?”

Secondly; to be able to experience new cultures and communities with completely different priorities and values to those we experience here at home in our day to day lives and be able to understand the world through the eyes of people who live in it and learn from that experience is an opportunity not to be missed.

In my day to day life I work supporting young people to be aspirational and working with those that haven’t had the best life experiences to date to look towards positive futures. I have a passion for food and music, and can often be found exploring the great outdoors.

My hopes for our visit to Africa are simple; listen and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment