Saturday 29 June 2024

Meet the 2024 Team - Pippa



Hi, I’m Pippa. I am 15 years old and have grown up as a member of St Andrew’s. When St Andrew’s sent their first team to visit South Africa in 2015 I was only six years old. Growing up I have heard from those who have been what an amazing experience it is and over the years I have grown up knowing that I too would love to volunteer to go one day. And this summer I will be part of a group of eleven people from St Andrew’s (including my parents and my brother) making the trip.

With less than a month to go until we fly out, it is all getting very real. I have had my vaccinations this week, and have been out shopping for some long skirts which is what I am required to wear while visiting the communities (but is not a style I am accustomed to!) We also have our final planning meeting coming up next Saturday.

I would like to thank everyone who has supported the fundraising activities over the past seven months. Whether you came to the Burns Night, Quiz Night, Afternoon Tea, sponsored the 24 hour bike ride or supported us some other way I am really grateful for everyone’s contributions which are enabling me to go on the trip.

I anticipate that this will be a life changing and humbling experience for me. I am looking forward to experiencing another culture and learning about the reality of day to day life for children and young people who do not have the privileges that we enjoy here.

1 comment: