Friday 5 July 2024

Meet the team 2024 - Mark



Hi, I’m Mark and I moved to Biggleswade in 2001 with my wife Laura. We have 2 children Rebekah and Matthew and I was pleased when my son agreed to join me on the Africa team this year. I am a Senior Conservation Officer at North Herts Council. I am a server and intercessor at St Andrew’s Church and I am also involved with Eco Church as St Andrew’s Eco Advocate. In the past, I have been a keen water colourist but don’t seem to have the time nowadays. At 57, I still enjoy sport including playing for Broom Badminton Club and playing lunchtime football.

I have been invited to join a team going out to Africa before, but I have previously declined. I was asked again if I would like to join the team going out this year and something stirred inside me saying that this was the right time to go (is this God speaking to me?). Last week (16 June) at a service led by Bishop Alan at St Vincent’s, Newnham we were reminded of the parable of the mustard seed. The common interpretation of this parable is that the mustard seed is likened to an agent of the Kingdom of God at work to make the Kingdom of God grow and expand. The parable teaches that God’s word, though small in appearance, has incredible transformative power. It shows that great things can happen from humble beginnings – a bit like the acorn and the oak. This resonates with me as this journey I am about to embark upon started off as a small conversation after church one day and I am hopeful that the experience will have transforming power.

To be honest, there is a tinge of apprehension regarding what I might encounter when I am out there but the team ‘get togethers’ in advance of going and particularly Chris’ reassuring words has given me the confidence to know that what we are due to experience will be something truly special. I am looking forward to sharing time not only with those we are due to meet up with but also with our own team and to treasure and respect relationships along the way. 

1 comment: