Saturday 15 June 2024

Meet the 2024 team - John

 

Hi, I’m John, I’m married to Lucy, we have four children and currently one grandson. I have worshipped at St Andrew’s church since my teenage years and have been delighted by the way our relationship with Hands at Work, and our partner community of Mafambisa, have developed and grown over the last number of years.

I witnessed the effect going to visit and share in the work of Hands in Africa had on Lucy; my daughter, Jessica; and my eldest son, Oliver; and felt hugely privileged to be part of the team in 2022. 

The visit was humbling, inspiring and uplifting; to see the work of the Hands team, the kindness of the Care Workers, and the pure unbridled enthusiasm of the children first hand was a real joy. We prayed, we ate, we played, we laughed, and we shared in moments of difficulty and anxiety, but it certainly made me think again about the priorities of life and what I consider to be important. One of the things that made a great impact on me were the Holy Home Visits; being invited into the homes of people in communities, listening to their stories, however challenging, was very special and something that has stayed with me. Since my return, amidst all the business and strains we experience in everyday life, it has made me appreciate things more and be thankful that I am truly blessed.

I’m really looking forward to our visit this year, I’m excited about going back, seeing how things have progressed, meeting old friends and new, and traveling with this year’s Team. I’m eager to join again with the fantastic work of Hands, and walk alongside the care workers as they cook, visit homes and care for the children of their community.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this years visit is as rewarding for you and all going , safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending God's blessings to you and Ben and the team x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab john look forward to hearing all the stories .

    ReplyDelete