Commissioned for Mafambisa: A Moment I Won’t Forget

On Sunday, something happened that felt bigger than just “getting ready for a trip.” At the end of the service, our team gathered at the front of church for our commissioning and even though I’ve been to South Africa once before, this moment hit differently.
We were asked to say our names out loud. Simple, but powerful. It was like saying, “I’m here. I’m part of this. I’m stepping into something God is calling me to.” Then we made our commitments, to be a whole team, stronger together than any of us are on our own; to be active and sensitive, not just doing tasks but noticing people; to deal with the unexpected (which, if you’ve been before, you know is basically guaranteed); and to go the extra mile with humility, leaving pride behind so we can be open to whatever God wants to show us.
The congregation promised to support us and pray for us. It meant a lot.
Then came the moment that will stay with me: we held out our hands to be anointed with oil. One by one, we said:
Hands to work. Hands to embrace. Hands to give. Hands to receive. Hands to create. Hands to bless.
It was simple, but honestly, it was powerful. Standing there with oil on my hands, I felt the weight of what we’re going to do not heavy, but real. These hands will carry bags, play games with kids, share food, hold someone’s arm when they need support, and maybe even wipe away a tear. They’ll give, but they’ll also receive. They’ll bless, but they’ll also be blessed.

Going back to Mafambisa feels like returning to family. To stand with the community we love, and to keep learning what it means to serve with open hands and an open heart.
This commissioning wasn’t just a moment in a service. It was a reminder of who we are, why we’re going, and the God who goes with us.
And now… we’re ready.

By Carolyn
It was so lovely to be able to be there to witness it - a truly special moment. Enjoy your final preparations this week before Saturday 🩵
ReplyDeleteIt was a wonderful moment at the end of the service . You all looked at peace with your journey . I just wanted to wish you all happiness with your wonderful experience. I won’t be there on Saturday to wish you all luck I shall be on my way to Whitby for a week . Have a wonderful time , my love to you all . Christina 🙏🏻
ReplyDeleteThanks Christina.
Delete