Wednesday 29 July 2020

Meet the team...

Lucy, John and Ben


Lucy

Hi I am Lucy and I had the privilege and joy of going to South Africa with Hands at Work last year for the first time and being alongside those from numerous communities including Mafambisa which St Andrew’s is partnered with. I was touched by the love shown to me and found the experience life changing and was keen to go again, but also encourage others to take the step out in faith and go to experience time being alongside such vulnerable people and sharing our love with fellow Christians. This resulted in the planned trip this year including my husband John and youngest son Benjamin which I was very excited about! 

I have many fond and heartfelt memories of spending time with the care workers and completing Holy Home Visits, and am amazed at both how fragile these communities are, but also how much of a positive impact that Hands at Work can and does have, and the overflowing love that is shown to all. 
I am truly disappointed not to be able for us to be physically alongside our fellow brothers and sisters in South Africa this year and for others to have benefitted from the experience but our love and care for these communities does not change . 

I am sure that if it is God’s plan I along with others will have that privilege of returning to these communities at some point in the future, but in the meantime Thank God for all that those who volunteer and work for Hands at Work are doing and all those extremely vulnerable people they show their love and compassion to.

John 

Hi, I’m John, I’m married to Lucy and we have four children. Although I work for a window manufacturer, I still see my main role as a husband and father - I stayed at home for eighteen years while our children were young - and I still try to support them as they grow up.

I have worshipped at St Andrew’s church for about forty years, during which time we, as a church, have been seeking a long term partner; the more we found out about the work of Hands, the more I felt that God was calling us in that direction. 

I have seen the effect going to visit and share in the work of Hands had on my daughter, Jessica; my eldest son, Oliver; and Lucy over the last number of years and felt that this year was the right time for me to visit. I was hugely looking forward to experiencing some of the things that people had previously shared in the special surroundings of our partner community of Mafambisa. However, Covid-19 and the current circumstances for travel and movement have meant that we can only support from afar. Although this has been a major disappointment personally, I know that the fantastic work of the team and the care workers continues, and we continue to pray for all they do for the children they care for.

Ben 

I am Ben and I’m going to tell you a bit about myself and what made me want to go to South Africa this year. I have just finished my final year at Biggleswade Academy this year and will be heading to Stratton Upper school in September so I am 13 and was in year 8 and going in to year 9. Outside of school I play football for Caldecote Youth and cricket for Ampthill and Bedfordshire County. I have a sister and 2 brothers: Jessica, Oliver and Noah and my mum and dad are Lucy and John. Some of the many reasons I want to go South Africa is because I want to go and see all their smiles on their faces and if they don’t have a smile on their face I want to make their day better as much as I can and cheer them up. Another reason is because one of my brothers, my sister, my mum and many other people have been already and have come back and have spoken about how powerful it is to go and see how God has played a role in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment