Saturday 25 July 2020

Meet the team....

Sophie and Simon



Simon

Hi! My name is Simon and although I don’t attend St Andrews Church, I have attended Carey Baptist Church for nearly 30 years. I’m a Maths teacher who loves running and have completed over 100 park runs! 

I wanted to go to Mafambisa having heard about Sophie and Alice’s experiences last August. I was excited to meet the Care Workers and the Children in Mafambisa that I’ve heard so much about. Although slightly nervous, I was excited to share my faith with a different community and learn and share alongside them. COVID has meant that this visit won’t go ahead, but I still feel as if I’ve learnt so much about the community in Mafambisa and am able to keep them and their safety in my prayers. 


Sophie 

Hi! I’m Sophie and I am a English Teacher at Northampton School for Girls. I travelled to South Africa with the St Andrews team last year and the experience was life changing, so when the opportunity arose to go again, I snapped it up! 

Although I am upset not to be visiting the communities this year, I remember my time in Mafambisa, Houtbos, Sthobela A, and Sthobela B with nothing but love. Singing ‘Shine’ whilst the sun set on the hills of Houtbos will forever be my favourite memory. I completely understand and agree with the reasons behind postponing the visit although this isn’t the only way to connect and support the wonderful work that Hands are doing. For now, the weekly updates, Hands email, and prayers are enough until it is safer to walk together with the Care Workers and Children of Mafambisa again.

No comments:

Post a Comment