Tuesday 23 July 2019

Team Africa 2019!

Welcome to Team Africa 2019! We are in the final stages of our preparation for this years trip. Over the next couple of weeks we will be introducing this years team and why they have chosen to join the trip this year. We have a mixture of people that have been before and those that it will be their first time! First up is Alice Parker who will be helping to lead this years team! She is actually off to Africa tomorrow so we thought we would start with her! Here is a recent picture of our team on our final briefing day!  



Alice Parker

Hi, I am Alice and I am off to Africa this summer for just under a month. I am going to spend the first two weeks with friends in Durban who are in the process of setting up an inclusive school and volunteering at Liv Village before then meeting the team in Johannesburg for our trip to Hands at Work. 


I currently live and work in London as a teacher. I am the Leading Practioner for Inclusion and work across three Primary Schools and an Under 3's Nursery for the London Diocesan Academy Trust! I have been a member of Kings Cross Church in the heart of London for nearly ten years where I lead a small group and kids church. The vision of my Church is... 


'to recklessly give ourselves away to God, each other and the people of King's Cross and beyond.' 


I think for me this vision is not only that of Kings Cross Church but of how I want to live my life...I want to be able to love recklessly, give my time recklessly and to share God's love recklessly and to build a community around me that shares this vision. 

The above vision for me sums up what going to Africa tomorrow is. I love spending time in the communities and seeing the impact that Care Workers who are often in similar situations are willing to give all of themselves to help others in the community. This will be my fourth time to Hands at Work and every time I am blown away by the courage, joy and love that the African communities offer to each other, the communities they serve and to us as visitors! I cannot wait to be surrounded by a big cooking pot again or chopping up large amounts of beetroot or cabbage! 


For those of you that know me well, will know that South Africa holds a particular space in my heart and has done for a while. I am looking forward to being able to share God's Love and Grace with the different people we meet in South Africa and having the opportunity to walk alongside and pray for them. I have no doubt that I am going to find it challenging and difficult at times and my faith will be tested but then if we are going to love recklessly and share God's love recklessly then I also know that God will be there every step of the way cheering us all on!! 


There is so much more to experience, be challenged by and to fall in love with... Let the adventure begin!!!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment