Monday 29 July 2019

Meet the Team - Oliver Dilley

Oliver Dilley




Hi, I’m Oliver Dilley. I’m 19 years old and have been a worshiping member of St Andrews Church in Biggleswade all my life. I have just finished my first year studying Paediatric Nursing at City, University of London. Working with children has been something that I have always been interested in from helping at holiday club to being a leader within a Sunday School team. Over my past year of training I have been very privileged to be able to work in some amazing places and work with some incredible children all of which have been very loving and welcoming, much like the children from the communities within South Africa.

As many of you will know, I was lucky enough to go out to South Africa last year with the team from St Andrews, ‘Cupboard2Africa’ and when I got home the only way I could describe my experience was “the best two weeks of my life”. Throughout the two weeks we spent in the vulnerable communities last year I learnt so much about myself, so much about Hands at Work and so much about the communities which made it impossible to say no when making my decision for this year. As those who have previously been on a trip to the Hands village, or I’m sure a similar one, will know that these trips are truly life shaping. I realised so much throughout my trip last year that I couldn’t ignore and learnt so much which I have tried to think about and work on within my life back home.

I am very much much looking forward to our 2 weeks in South Africa and am excited to see new communities, for myself (and for St Andrews teams), as well as visiting some old faces in our partner community of Mafambisa. Over the past year I have been worshiping at St Paul’s Cathedral in London and have been privileged to be able to listen to many talks, from many different people talking to many different people with very different nationalities. The one underlying message that has been present in nearly all sermons was how as Christians (or even as humans) we must support our neighbours, close or far. I am looking forward to being out in South Africa with our 2019 team, I am excited to be able to see these communities with new people and am excited for our team members who will be visiting South Africa ( and Hands at work) for the first time, including Lucy - My mum, and to see everyone form relationships with the care workers, the children and the Hands at Work volunteers.

I feel very privileged to be able to go as a member of the St Andrews team 2019 to visit our partner community and to walk alongside our neighbours. As I mentioned previously, I learnt a lot while out in South Africa last year with one being the importance of everyday (or regular) prayer. Therefore I ask that you continue to pray for our team in the coming week for our final preparations for our trip as well as throughout our trip. If any of you are able to comment on our blogs or facebook posts each day it is lovely see what you have thought of our days and to provide those crucial words of encouragement.

I cannot wait to go back to these communities, the Hands hub and South Africa as a whole! And I am sure that we will have some amazing stories, pictures and memories to share when we get home!

1 comment: