Tuesday 5 July 2016

Introduction to the 2016 Team


VAUGHAN JOHNSON

I took early retirement from my professional life in Primary Education - as headteacher, adviser and inspector - over twelve years ago, and soon afterwards moved to Biggleswade.  I have been actively involved in St Andrew’s church ever since, and have kept direct links with education as a governor of Edward Peake Church of England Middle School… already actively supporting children in Siyathuthuka.  I am committed to lifelong education, and practical self-help solutions which are effective and sustainable in the long-term with minimal cost to the environment.  I support work programmes at the Christian retreat centres Lee Abbey (Devon) and Scargill House (N Yorks Dales) on a regular basis; I am a lifelong allotmenteer and compulsive ‘D-I-Y’er!  For a number of years I was closely involved in a street children charity which included a ‘youth to youth’ element and the building of education and training centres.

Both as an individual and as a member of the PCC, I strongly supported last year’s Room trip to Siyathuthuka.  The team’s commitment as they prepared to go, their reports during and after the visit, and the obvious impact of the experiences they had, impressed me hugely.  Together with my daughter’s several years working for charities in Africa at the end of her university career, the very sound approach & philosophy of Hands at Work convinced me I should put aside the natural caution of my advancing years and undergo the experience for myself.  As an inveterate doer and provider of solutions, I am apprehensive about my capacity to look, listen, feel and be instead of my usual see, advise, show and do, but I do understand the sound reasons why, and will try very hard!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you, Vaughan, plus your other team members. Prayers too for those you are alongside. I'm sure you will be a great asset to the team. I will have to return to Biggleswade to hear all about it. GoX bless! Andrew Hollins

    ReplyDelete