Wednesday 5 July 2017

2017 Team Introduction - Rosemary Bentley

Rosemary Bentley
I have worshipped at St Andrew's Church, Biggleswade since July 2016, when I moved to the town from Hampshire. On my first Sunday at St Andrew's a team from the community of faith were visiting Siyathuthuka; and I was pleased to learn so much about Hands at Work once they returned to the UK. At that time it was beyond my wildest dreams that less than a year later I would be preparing to travel to the community in South Africa!
As a geographer I have had the privilege to travel extensively, but it will be my first journey to South Africa. In my initial teaching position at King Edward's School Witley, a considerable number of my students lived overseas, with many of their parents working with CMS, USPG, and the Anglican Church, in all continents of the world. It was heart-rending to hear of experiences, challenges, and Christian witness when the students returned from some of the most materially impoverished areas of the world. More recently, the primary school where I served as chair of governors had very well-established links with in Yurie Yoshimi Primary School in Uganda; the head teacher, Nelson, had contaced polio as a child but in his mid-20's committed to creating a Christian school, with boarding houses, for children whose families had been affected by polio, and other life-changing diseases. Nelson, who walked on his hands, wearing thick rubber gloves in all weathers as protection , is an inspirational young man, and our pupils excitedly looked forward to his visits to Bournemouth and news of our partner school. Yet another reason why I look forward to sharing with the children and families of Siythuthuka.

George Snyman's recent visit to St Andrew's made me appreciate fully the importance of our parish's partnership with Siyathuthuka. His message, and case studies, overflowed with hope, gratitude, and positivity, making me feel even more excited about the challenges, experiences, and sharing of Christian love which await in July 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment