Friday 2 August 2019

Meet the Team - Lucy Dilley

Lucy Dilley



Hi , I am Lucy and I am off to South Africa imminently with a group of fellow Christians and the Hands at Work charity. I am excited but slightly nervous about a few things about the trip but anyone who knows me will understand my anxieties. 
I am married to John and we have been fortunate enough to have 4 beautiful children, Jessica, Oliver, Noah and Benjamin, and oh also a 17 month Labrador puppy called Lola. I work for Marks and Spencer, and have done so for nearly 32 years, starting as a shelf filler in Cambridge, fulfilling many different roles over the years and have been a store Manager for around 18 years, the last 5 years being in Sixfields Northampton. These jobs, like most, have their highs and lows and can be exhausting, especially as I have commuted quite a distance for many years, but they also have been extremely rewarding and I have felt fortunate to work with some great people. 
Jessica and Oliver have both previously been to South Africa with other groups and it has been evident how their lives have been changed by their visits, and truly enriched by the experience. As I began to hear the stories from previous trips I knew that one day I would go - but when I was ready! During last year's feedback service at St Andrew's I felt an overwhelming calling that it was my time to go!  I had previously been putting reasons for not taking this leap of faith, but following the strength of that overwhelming feeling of being called I decided that I needed to go and to put my faith to the test! I could no longer say NO. 
So hear I am with only a few days to go.... injections have happened, team days shared, international driving permit purchased, South African Rand ready, gifts for the Care workers gathered and some prayers and thoughts said and had for our trip. 
So why am I going ? Well as have said earlier feel extremely blessed for all I have and how God has sustained and nourished me during my time with the highs and lows of modern day life. I have also had a mixture of mental health wellbeing over the years and with taking time to reflect and ponder post my low times I realise how God has carried me in these dark days but also how important it is to give myself an opportunity and time to reflect on what I have as gifts to offer and how God wants me to put them best to use. Love your neighbour is such an important aspect of modern Christian living in my opinion and this can be done in many, many ways. I truly hope that with my trip to South Africa I am able to come closer to God , understand more of what I have to offer, share my love with my neighbour and become greatly enriched by the privilege of being alongside some amazing people who have very little in material possessions but are overflowing in faith and love. I know I will have an amazing , life changing experience and am thankful for everyone's ongoing love and support , and a special mention to Oliver who is accompanying his mum on her trip. 
Please do continue to have us all in your thoughts and prayers over the next few weeks. 

1 comment: