Tuesday 21 June 2016

Introduction to the 2016 Team

MARK THOMAS

My name is Mark, I am married with two children. I volunteer  at one of St Andrews Church youth club's each week and have supported many children and young people over the past several years.

I am  school based Social Worker and Trainee Counsellor and work in a school in Bedford. It's a great environment to work in with some challenging children along with some fantastic and unique individuals.

I have volunteered over many years supporting vulnerable children and families, I have always wanted to develop this volunteering but in another country and this trip to South Africa gives me that opportunity. To have the opportunity to support the Care Workers, children and families within some of the communities I hope to gain a different insight to how others experience hardship. I have always strived to empower others to fully achieve their own potential and I hope to have the opportunity to do this whilst on this journey. I may even empower myself through the enrichment of others diversity and culture. This maybe a once in a lifetime opportunity for me so I have to make it worthwhile and embrace any challenges it brings.

With the support of my family and friends and the people I am making this journey with I hope to grow both spiritually and emotionally.

1 comment:

  1. Mark you will do a great job, I'm so proud of you .... Be safe.... Love ya bud.... Jane

    ReplyDelete