Saturday 12 May 2018

Arrival - Friday 11th May

I have just arrived at the Hub, but traveling on your own is a lot different to traveling with a group of familiar faces!

I left the U.K. at about 19.05 last night and landed in Johanesberg at approx 7am this morning. British Airways Airbus 340, so there is seating upstairs and down, Films to watch, food to eat.

Then suddenly you are off the plane and in Joberg airport, a completely different environment. I cued up to have my passport stamped, but the officials, stamp had broken, so he waved me to the adjacent line, behind another passenger who was being dealt with by the adjacent official. Once this official had finished dealing with the passenger in front he went to help the first guy mend his stamp, so he waved me onto the next cue. The next cue had stopped because there was something wrong with a persons document. So after joining four different cue’s I did get my pass port stamped.

I had opted to take an internal flight for the next leg of the journey rather than the 4 hour drive that we usually do. But for this I had to collect my bags and then check in again before going to the gate. It is very much different doing all this on your own than together as a group.

Anyway it wasn’t long before I was boarding the ‘little plane’ bound for Kruger / Mpumalanga international airport. And so 4 hours had taken only took 40 minutes. The next challenge was taking possession of my hire car, then it was out on the open road heading for White river to pick up supples before going onto the hub.

Anyway all settled in now and one of the couples invited me to their place for supper, which gave us chance to chat and get to know each other better!


No comments:

Post a Comment